2016 Young Composers Competition
The mission of the St. Cloud Symphony Orchestra is to present high quality performances of music and educational outreach activities to Central Minnesota, to encourage participation by local and area musicians and to further the understanding and appreciation of music.
The St. Cloud Symphony Orchestra Young Composers Competition is intended to enhance and expand the opportunities for young composers in the five-state area (Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, and North and South Dakota).
Official Rules and Regulations
- The competition is open to students either studying composition at an institution or with a private instructor in the States of Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, and North and South Dakota.
- One submission per composer will be accepted.
- All candidates must be 30 years of age or younger before April 1, 2016.
- Instrumentation is limited to 2+1, 2, 2, 2 – 4, 3, 3, 1 – timp+6, strings, and electronics (all clarification questions can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Submitted works are expected last approximately five minutes but no longer than eight minutes.
- The Composition Winner will receive a $500 scholarship to study composition at their current institution or private teacher.
- A Grand Prize Winner may be chosen by the Artistic Director and Principal Conductor. The Grand Prize Winner will have their work performed by the St. Cloud Symphony Orchestra at the April 30, 2016 concert. Artistic, logistic and financial considerations of the orchestra will be taken into consideration. The winning composer agrees to be present at the rehearsal and concert on April 30, 2016, and agrees to submit biographical material appropriate for grant proposals.
- If there is no grand prize winner chosen a reading of the Compositions Winner’s work will occur at the convenience of the St. Cloud Symphony Orchestra. The winning composer will have the opportunity to record the reading.
- Electronic competition entries will be accepted until 11:59pm on March 15, 2016. Hard copy application form, scores (2), and check sent via U.S. Mail must be postmarked on or before March 15, 2016.
- The winning composer will be declared on March 20, 2016.
A COMPLETE SUBMISSION INCLUDES ALL OF THE FOLLOWING:
- Completed application forms (one digital copy to accompany PDF score and audio link, and one U.S. Mail copy).
- $35 check or money order made out to: St. Cloud Symphony Orchestra
- One PDF of the score (sent via email) and two bound and legible scores of the work with the composer’s name, address or any other identifying information redacted.
- Sound Cloud or YouTube link to an orchestral performance of the competition entry. If no performance recording is available, a synthesized recording or piano reduction of the orchestral version is acceptable. Track 1 of the recording should be a short excerpt of the most distinctive section of the piece (up to 2 minutes in length) unless the composer feels that the opening of the piece will best serve this purpose. The complete piece must follow as Track 2. If Track 1 is an excerpt, the CD must indicate which measure is the beginning of the excerpt.
- One letter of recommendation from a composition teacher or professional musician
Please send PDF score and audio links to: email@example.com
Mail hard copy application form, check, and two scores to:
St. Cloud Symphony Orchestra
Attn: Lucia Magney
PO Box 234
St. Cloud, MN 56302
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 320-252-7276 if you have any questions regarding this program.
Download Competition Guidelines and Application Form here.